Colosso di San Carlo Borromeo | The “Sacro Monte”
Sito ufficiale del Colosso di San Carlo Borromeo ad Arona sul Lago Maggiore. La Statua è alta circa 35 metri, altezza che può essere raggiunta salendo all’interno del Sancarlone, fino alla sua sommità. Attraverso alcuni gradini a chiocciola e poi una ripida scala alla marinara con protezione, si sale infatti fino alla testa del santo osservandone al contempo la struttura interna. Da qui è possibile guardare all’esterno tramite alcuni fori corrispondenti agli occhi, le narici, le orecchie del santo. Altre finestre si aprono all’altezza delle spalle consentendo di affacciarsi e di godere del notevole panorama circostante.
Statua San Carlo, Colosso di san carlo borromeo, chiesa di san carlo borromeo, statua ad arona, sancarlone, lago maggiore, sacro monte arona, sacromonte, piemonte, sito ufficiale san carlo,
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-15774,qode-quick-links-1.0,ajax_updown_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode_grid_1200,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-11.2,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.2.1,vc_responsive
Il Sacro Monte di Varese

The “Sacro Monte” (Sacred Mountain)

La Chiesetta di San Carlo Borromeo ad Arona sul Lago Maggiore

The ambitious project of a Sacro Monte in Arona was promoted by father Marco Aurelio Grattarola, from the fraternity of the “oblati”, founded by Carlo himself as an instrument and a support for his pastoral engagement.

Cardinal Federico Borromeo, Carlo’s cousin and archbishop of Milan, accepted this idea with enthousiasm because this planned monumental complex would have celebrated the greatness of the saint.

According to the project, 15 chapels should have been built, decorated inside with frescoes and statues, each dedicated to an important event of the saint’s life; a colossal statue and a church should have completed the plan.

The chapels were to be built along a climbing and winding road, beginning on the lake and ending at the basement of the statue.

In July 1614 cardinal Federico laid the first stone for the building of the church, but this impressive project was only partly achieved, because of several difficult events, first of all the continuous fights between the Spaniards and the French and the consequent famines and diseases.

Of the 15 chapels originally planned, today there are only three, unachieved in their architecture and unfortunately in very bad conditions.

The three chapels don’t belong anymore to the Biblioteca Ambrosiana, historical institution of Milan, founded by cardinal Federico himself, which has run the complex since 1624.